Montrose in Montrose County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that spirit, the people of Montrose, Colorado, endeavored in 1997 to document and record the history of the region and town.
O'Neill Brothers Kirk's Hotel
(1898) 301 E. Main
"Everybody goes to Kirk's" was the common expression at the turn of the century. Built in 1898, Kirk's Hotel boasted 22 furnished rooms, steam heat, electric lights, and hot and cold water baths. Oysters served in any and all styles, were the specialty of the fine hotel restaurant. A billiards parlor, operated by the O'Neill Brothers, occupied the downstairs. In later years, the hotel was known as the Chipeta, with the Weber Pool Hall downstairs. It is said that heavyweight champion of the world Jack Dempsey trained in the back of Weber's.
1905 307-309 E. Main
"A bargain in dresses! Silk dresses in the newest shades and
First Knights of Pythias,(circa 1899)
317-321 E. Main
Built between 1899 and 1900, this building originally housed a drugstore and a bank, with the Knights of Pythias (a male fraternal organization) occupying the hall upstairs.
The town's most popular druggist, Charles J. Getz, came to Montrose in 1885 and operated from this building. He married Miss Ida Ham, who entertained at the American House Hotel (formerly located at the corner of Main and Townsend) by playing the piano and singing to a parrot.
The Montrose Elks Lodge #1053, established in Montrose in 1906, used this building until 1927, when they built a new building.
Notice the cast iron, fluted pilasters with acanthus leaf capitals at the central entrance and corners of the front. The parapet wall features a pressed metal cornice with scroll-like modillions and dentils; the frieze below has a swag motif. If the store
A.M. Harris Dry Goods (1886)
345 E. Main
This building, the first to be built of brick on this block, was originally for the Buddecke and Diehl freighting business in 1886. Notice the difference in the arched window surrounds compared to the later buildings. Prior to the construction of the Masonic Hall in 1911, the Masonic Lodge held its meetings in the upstairs of this building.
J.F. Wilson Building (1899)
347 E. Main
Built in 1899, J.F.. Wilson's Outfitters was "without a doubt the largest and finest clothing and gents furnishing house on the Western Slope."
The building represents high artistic values. The east side retains the original stone work. The cast iron pilasters are from the Union Iron and Foundry Company in St. Louis.
Location. 38° 28.748′ N, 107° 52.626′ W. Marker is in Montrose, Colorado, in Montrose County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montrose CO 81401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (a few steps from this marker); What's in a Name? (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gunnison Tunnel Preserving Our Heritage (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (about 500 feet away); The Winds of Change (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montrose.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Preserving Our Heritage.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 4. submitted on July 17, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Additional photos of buildings mentioned in text. • Photo of the pilasters mentioned in the text. • Photo of ceiling mentioned in the Knights of the Pythias building text. • Can you help?