Montrose in Montrose County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that spirit, the people of Montrose, Colorado, endeavored in 1997 to document and record the history of the region and town.
E.J. Mathews Mercantile (circa 1886)
346 E. Main
Constructed between 1886 and 1893, this building housed the E.J. Mathews Mercantile and later the Callaway Bros. Grocery store. The structure displays the most elaborate example of the use of decorative brickwork in the downtown area, with its diamond motifs on the east and north facades. The many chimneys of the early days have been replaced with a modern solar-powered heat system and a central furnace.
J.W. Page Meat Market (1893)
330-336 E. Main
J.W. Page located in Montrose during the 1893 silver panic to furnish one of the most-used food articles, fresh meat, from his up-to-date butcher shop. Page not only did a general retail business
Although the lower portio of the building has been altered, the pressed metal cornice with a shell, rosette, and floral motif is one of the least damaged in the area. Note also the end brackets topped with urn ornaments.
Redding Furniture (and Mortuary),
established 1902) 324-328 E. Main
Established in 1902 by J.C. and W.O. Redding, this popular furniture company also carried an extensive line of "Queensware", a fine-glazed, cream-colored English earthenware. A "full service" establishment, the Reddings also dealt in carpets and wallpaper and advertised a "perfectly equipped" undertaking service by employing an experienced embalmer as the general manager of their operations.
The Pastime, (established 1902) 320 Main
"One of the main resorts for the lovers of recreation and healthful sport" was the Pastime, with W.S. Callaway as proprietor. Established in 1892, it was a strictly gentlemen's resort, "positively prohibiting any profane or improper language." It contained billiard and pool tables and "the very best up-to-date bowling alleys on the Western Slope". It also carried a fine line of cigars, tobacco, confectionary items, and a complete line of A.G. Spaulding's sporting goods. Callaway arrived in Montrose in 1883, and in time, became actively involved in all local sports, including the Montrose baseball club.
Location. 38° 28.758′ N, 107° 52.63′ W. Marker is in Montrose, Colorado, in Montrose County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montrose CO 81401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (a few steps from this marker); What's in a Name? (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gunnison Tunnel (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (about 500 feet away); The Winds of Change (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Preserving Our Heritage (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montrose.
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Preserving Our Heritage.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Additional photos of buildings mentioned in marker text. • Can you help?