Wharton in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wharton County Courthouse
A framed building (1848) and two-story brick building (1852) served as courthouses on Monterey Square until the county considered a new edifice in the 1880s. Judge W.J. Croom favored a new building, while A.H. "Shanghai" Pierce and G.C. Duncan led several landowners in signing a petition and filing injunctions to stop the county from proceeding. In 1888, the Commissioners Court ordered plans from Houston architect Eugene T. Heiner for a courthouse and jail. Heiner, a founding member of the Texas State Association of Architects in 1886, also designed Judge Croom's home (1895), Wharton Public School (1899), and other public, commercial and residential buildings in Texas.
Litigation delayed construction on the courthouse until November 1888. Completed in August 1889, it featured Second Empire and Italianate styling, including a mansard roof decorated with pediments, truncated roofs, limestone detailing, arched windows, corner quoins, and a tall central clock tower. The salmon-colored brick came from
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14041.)
Location. 29° 18.612′ N, 96° 6.055′ W. Marker is in Wharton, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on West Burleson Street east of South Houston Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 South Fulton St, Wharton TX 77488, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Wharton (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharton County (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharton County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge George E. Quinan (about 300 feet away); Security Bank and Trust Company (about 400 feet away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wharton.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.