Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Part of home built by Marksville's first mayor, Charles Brashear. Located originally at corner of Cappel and Monroe Sts. Later housed Bell's Tavern. In 1856, Adolph Lafargue opened a boys' school in building and published "The Villager" newspaper next door. Adolph Lafargue, Jr. moved the dwelling to its present location after the Civil War and made it his home.
Erected by City Of Marksville.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 31° 7.871′ N, 92° 3.933′ W. Marker is in Marksville, Louisiana, in Avoyelles Parish. Marker is on North Monroe Street 0.2 miles south of Tarleton Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marksville LA 71351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joffrion-Roy-Luke Home (a few steps from this marker); Bettevy-DeNux-Roy Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cushman Home Site (about 500 feet away); Marksville Methodist Church Old Church of the Nazarene (about 700 feet away); Marksville Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Belle Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eddie Knoll (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marksville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Brashear-Lafargue-Gremillion Home.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2018.