Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
America's Oldest Catholic University
Healy Hall, which faces the University's front gates, is named for Georgetown's 29th president, Rev. Patrick F. Healy, S.J., who served from 1873 to 1882. Father Healy, the son of an Irish father and a mother who had been a slave, was the first African American president to head what has become a major research university The south pavilion of Healy houses the Riggs Memorial Library, one of the few remaining cast-iron libraries in the country. It is balanced in the north pavilion by Gaston Hall, the University's primary ceremonial space, named for Georgetown's first student, William Gaston, who later served in the U.S. Congress. Since 1879, Healy has made a striking Georgetown landmark with its
Behind Healy Hall is the original quadrangle, where the Old North Building houses classrooms and faculty offices. Completing the original quadrangle are Dahlgren Memorial Chapel of 1893 and former residence halls – Maguire, Gervase, Mulledy, and Ryan – named for earlier Jesuits and benefactors.
President George Washington addressed students from the front porch of Old North in 1797 as did the Marquis de Lafayette in 1824. Among Georgetown's alumni are President William J. Clinton, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, National Basketball Association player and two-time Olympic Gold Medalist Patrick Ewing, Sr., actor John Barrymore and Senate Majority leader George Mitchell.
Georgetown’s Call Box restoration project is part of a city-wide effort to rescue the District’s abandoned fire and police call boxes. Known as Art on Call, the project has identified more that 800 boxes for restoration. Neighborhood by neighborhood, they are being put to new use as permanent displays of local art, history and culture. The Georgetown project highlights the anecdotal history of Georgetown and its unique heritage as a thriving colonial port town that predated the District of Columbia.
Police alarm boxes such as this one (originally painted
Art on Call is a program of Cultural Tourism DC with support from DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, DC Creates Public Art Program, District Department of Transportation, and Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
Citizens Association of Georgetown, Georgetown University
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Art on Call marker series.
Location. 38° 54.455′ N, 77° 4.292′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1307 37th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named America's Oldest Catholic University (here, next to this marker); Poulton Hall (a few steps from this marker); John Carroll (within shouting distance of this marker); S/Sgt. Richard F. Hoffman, A.A.F. (within shouting distance of this marker); Healy Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Casa Latina (about 300 feet away); The Black House (about 300 feet away); John Fitzgerald Kennedy (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Additional keywords. law enforcement.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,311 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on August 6, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1. submitted on August 6, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 9, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.