Washington in Franklin County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Missouri Paciﬁc Railway Station
The craftsman styled depot was designed by E. M. Tucker and was erected by J.G. Wuellner & Son of Alton, Illinois. Construction of the new depot, together with track changes and site preparation work, cost $52,000.
When the new station opened for service at noon Friday, January 4, 1924, it provided Washington with the most modern railway facility possible. The main waiting room was equipped with all modern devices for the comfort of travelers. The ticket and telegraph office adjoined the main waiting room on the west side with a small business office where trainmen received orders from the telegraph operators. Two large rooms for handling baggage and express were on the west end of the depot. The walls throughout the interior of the new depot were of a buff color, while all the woodwork was stained in oak. A pavilion, 24 feet square, adorned the east side of the station.
This is the third depot constructed on this site. The first was destroyed by Confederate soldiers in
Rail passenger service was discontinued at Washington on April 30, 1971. In 1985 ownership of the railway station was transferred from Union Pacific Systems to the City of Washington.
Location. 38° 33.71′ N, 91° 0.78′ W. Marker is in Washington, Missouri, in Franklin County. Marker is on West Front Street east of Cedar Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, in front of the MO-PAC caboose exhibit, just west of the 1923 Missouri Pacific Railway Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 West Front Street, Washington MO 63090, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1856 Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot (here, next to this marker); The Civil War Comes to Washington (a few steps from this marker); Henry A. Hartbauer (a few steps from this marker); Washington's Railroad History (within shouting distance of this marker); Pacific House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pacific Railroad Depot (within shouting distance Missouri Pacific Passenger Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Missouri Meerschaum Company (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
More about this marker. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted on a waist-high steel post.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot, Washington, Missouri
Also see . . . The Historic Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot. This Missouri Pacific depot was built in 1923 by the railroad’s E.M. Tucker. This traditional brick station building provides a waiting room for passengers as well as housing Washington’s Visitor Center and the Mid-Missouri Fine Arts Gallery. Outside, the wide eaves of the hipped roof, with their decoratively braced brackets, flank the central closed gable on the street side and the extended bay for the station manager on the track side. The bay’s second story is capped by an octagonal roof, and darker brick quoins decorate the red brick exterior. The station is included in the city’s historic district. (Submitted on August 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.