Gustavus in Trumbull County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Gustavus Center Historic District
Major buildings dating from 1832 to 1898 surround the village green, the geographic center of Gustavus Township. Built in 1832 on the northwest quadrant, the George Hezlep House features Federal-Greek Revival architecture and has a closet reputedly used on the Underground Railroad. Built in 1840, the Farmers' Exchange Store was originally a double entrance Greek Revival structure. The Storekeeper's House, also a Greek Revival structure, was built next to the exchange store in 1840. South of this house is the Fraternal Hall, built in 1870. There were once four churches in Gustavus including the Methodist Church, built in 1856 with a temple front and a belfry, and the Congregational Church, built east of the center in 1854. The eclectic Town Hall was built in 1890 and fronts the southeast quadrant. The Gustavus Centralized School, reported as the first centralized school in the United States, was built in 1898 and was replaced by the current building in 1928.
Josiah Pelton of Connecticut arrived in Gustavus Center in 1800 after purchasing 6,605 acres comprising the northern half of Gustavus Township
Erected 2000 by Gustavus Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-78.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 27.73′ N, 80° 39.947′ W. Marker is in Gustavus, Ohio, in Trumbull County. Marker is at the intersection of Kinsman Road NE (Ohio Route 87) and Ohio Route 193, on the right when traveling west on Kinsman Road NE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmdale OH 44417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kinsman (approx. 4.2 miles away); Darrow Octagon House / Clarence Darrow (1857-1938) Upon This Tablet (approx. 5 miles away); Pennsylvania (was approx. 9.2 miles away in Pennsylvania but has been reported missing. ); Casterline Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Fowler Township / Fowler Historic District (approx. 10½ miles away); Bloomfield Township Commons (approx. 10½ miles away); Pymatuning Wetlands / Pymatuning Reservoir (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Gustavus Center Historic District.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 11, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.