Independence in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The congregation dates from 1826. The church neither divided nor closed in the Civil War. Designed in 1888 by Nier, Hogg and Byram of Kansas City, Mo. Harry S. Truman first met Bess Wallace here in Sunday School in 1892.
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Independence. (Marker Number 19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, and the The Spirit of 76, America's Bicentennial Celebration marker series.
Location. 39° 5.55′ N, 94° 25.281′ W. Marker is in Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on Pleasant Street near Lexington Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Pleasant Street, Independence MO 64050, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Independence Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); Gingko Tree (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church First Fireproof Building in Independence (about 700 feet away); Joseph T. Noland House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Truman House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Growing out of a preaching station of the Harmony Osage Indian Mission, the First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1841 with Dr. John Lapsley Yantis its first pastor. It was the only Presbyterian church in the area not to close or split during the Civil War -- accomplished in part by the congregation's withdrawing from all presbytery participation for almost forty years. President and Mrs. Harry Truman met as children in First Church's Sunday school. Liberty St. Cumberland Presbyterian
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 538 times since then. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.