Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Second Presbyterian Church
James Renwick, Architect, 1874
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
When this neo-Gothic church was designed by a prominent New York architect, the surrounding streets, including Prairie Avenue one block east, were lined with the homes of wealthy Chicagoans. The fine interior decorations recall the congregation that built and, after a fire, rebuilt the church.
Erected by Commission on Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks. (Marker Number 8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 41° 51.346′ N, 87° 37.444′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is at the intersection of South Michigan Avenue and East Cullerton Street on South Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1936 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago IL 60616, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry B. Clarke House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Visionary (approx. 0.2 miles away); John J. Glessner House (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Pullman Wheeler–Kohn House (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle of Fort Dearborn (approx. 0.3 miles away); American Book Company Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Platt Luggage Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
Regarding Second Presbyterian Church. The Second Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. National Historic Landmark status was conferred upon the church by the U.S. Department of the Interior and the National Park Service on February 27, 2013. It is the only church in the city of Chicago and one of only three in the state of Illinois to be so designated. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Built in 1872 in Chicago's Gold Coast, Second
Also see . . .
1. History of Second Presbyterian Church of Chicago. (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
2. National Historic Landmark Nomination Form. (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2013. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2013. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.