Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Downtown Presbyterian Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Downtown Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 20, 2009
1. Downtown Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. From 1814 to 1955 this was the site of the First Presbyterian Church. President Andrew Jackson was received into the church in 1838. James K. Polk was inaugurated governor here in 1839. The building designed in the Egyptian style by William Strickland, architect of the State Capitol, was dedicated in 1851. When the First Church moved, the Downtown Church was organized.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 78, 95.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 36° 9.788′ N, 86° 46.801′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Ave N and Church St, on the right when traveling north on 5th Ave N. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville TN 37201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Masonic Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Maxwell House Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Sarah Estell (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fourth and Church (about 400
Downtown Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 20, 2009
2. Downtown Presbyterian Church Marker
West side of the NW corner of the building
feet away); Tennessee Ornithological Society (about 600 feet away); William Walker (about 600 feet away); Jackson's Law Office (about 700 feet away); Birth of Bluegrass (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
 
Regarding Downtown Presbyterian Church. The Downtown Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

Organized in 1814 by Gideon Blackburn, the First Presbyterian Church of Nashville was the first Christian church in the city of Nashville. The present building, dedicated in 1851, is the third on the site. Designed by William Strickland, it is one of the best remaining examples of Egyptian Revival architecture in the United States. Presidents Andrew
Downtown Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 20, 2009
3. Downtown Presbyterian Church Marker
Jackson and James K. Polk worshipped here. In 1955 the majority of the First Church congregation relocated. The remaining members purchased the property and the Downtown Presbyterian Church was organized.

 
Also see . . .
1. Downtown Presbyterian Church, Nashville from Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 6, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church. (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches & ReligionNotable Buildings
 
National Historic Landmark image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 20, 2009
4. National Historic Landmark
The Downtown Presbyterian Church has been designated a National Historical Landmark
This site possess national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America
1993 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior
Downtown Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 11, 2012
5. Downtown Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 990 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 4, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   5. submitted on September 2, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement