Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
One of the state’s oldest Presbyterian churches.
This site was selected for the first church building, dedicated on Oct. 13, 1822. The second and present, sanctuary was dedicated on May 18, 1860.
Names of all ministers who have served this church are recorded on plaques in the sanctuary.
This marker erected on 150th anniversary of organization.
Erected 1968 by Alabama Historical Association. (Marker Number 168.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 34° 43.825′ N, 86° 34.91′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Street Southeast and Gates Avenue Southeast, on the left when traveling north on Lincoln Street Southeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 Gates Avenue Southeast, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Howard Weeden Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Leroy Pope Mansion 1814 (about 400 feet away); Calhoun House Helion Lodge No. 1 (about 500 feet away); The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal (about 500 feet away); Central Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); The Public Inn (about 700 feet away); Site - Alabama’s First Constitutional Convention (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Organized by Rev. Gideon Blackburn of the Presbytery of West Tennessee in 1818, First Church is the oldest Presbyterian congregation in Huntsville and one of the oldest in the state. Located in the county seat of Madison County, the congregation's present building, erected in 1860, replaced the original 1822
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on October 29, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.