Flemington in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Flemington Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-10/378.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 52.168′ N, 81° 34.257′ W. Marker is in Flemington, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on Old Sunbury Road 0.8 miles west of East. Oglethorpe Highway (U.S. 84), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 750 Old Sunbury Road, Hinesville GA 31313, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harrison Family Cemetery M1A1 90mm Anti-Aircraft Gun (approx. 1.6 miles away); Liberty Armory Site (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hinesville and Liberty County WWII Veterans Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Bacon-Fraser House (approx. 2 miles away); Hinesville Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Liberty County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Liberty County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.1 miles away).
Regarding Flemington Presbyterian Church. Flemington Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
In the late 18th century, the Midway Congregational Church built a log cabin to serve as a "chapel of ease" (a worship spot for those whose home church was too far away for regular attendance) on the site that would become Flemington Presbyterian Church. The present Greek Revival sanctuary was constructed in 1852 using slave labor. The African Americans who built the church worshiped in the gallery above the first floor. After the Civil War, the congregants in Flemington split from Midway Congregational to form their own church, joining the Presbyterian denomination. The church building remains largely unchanged since 1852.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church. (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,593 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.