Marion in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Marion Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
David E.Frierson of Harmony Presbytery first preached here at Marion Courthouse in 1841. The church was organized in Feb. 1852 with six charter members: Archibald and Margaret Carmichael of Little Pee Dee Church, Rebecca E. Frierson of Great Pee Dee Church, Sophia E. McIntyre of Hopewell Church, Duncan J. McDonald from Smyrna, N.C., and David Gibson from Dairy, Scotland.
This house of worship, dedicated in February 1852, stands on land given by Archibald McIntyre. In 1913 Sunday School rooms were added on the west end of the original structure and new pews were purchased. The bell dates from 1911 and the organ from 1919. During the early 1970s, the church was renovated to include an enlarged sanctuary, new choir room and rear entrance. It was rededicated in April 1975.
Erected 1977 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 34-7 / 268.)
Location. 34° 10.579′ N, 79° 24.042′ W. Marker is in Marion, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 South Main Street, Marion SC 29571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To the Dead and Living Confederate Soldiers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Town Hall and Opera House (about 600 feet away); Marion County / Marion Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Marion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marion Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial Triangle (approx. ¼ mile away); World War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Regarding Marion Presbyterian Church. Marion Presbyterian Church is contributing building #16 within the Marion Historic District which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location is in front of the church building).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society
This congregation was organized with six members in 1852. W. J. Dickson designed a Greek Revival structure, with four Doric columns supporting the portico and an octagonal belfry, that was erected in the same year on land given by Archibald Mclntyre. It is the oldest church building in Marion County on its original site. A bell was mounted in the belfry in 1911 and an educational building was added in 1949. During interior renovations in 1970, the sanctuary was enlarged and new hand-crafted pews installed. Supported by missionary funds in its early years, the church has been active in mission work. The South Carolina Department of Archives and History placed its marker on the site in 1977.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 868 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on August 16, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 2. submitted on August 9, 2016, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.