Moore in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Nazareth Frame House
Erected on or near this site between 1785-1790 a larger and better frame house of worship replaced the old log meeting house. Used for a time as a session house.
Location. 34° 53.817′ N, 82° 1.858′ W. Marker is in Moore, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker can be reached from Nazareth Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 680 Nazareth Church Road, Moore SC 29369, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nazareth Church Stone Marker (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nazareth Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast (approx. 2½ miles away); Camp Wadsworth (approx. 2.6 miles away); John B. White Sr., Blvd. (approx. 3.1 miles away); 15th N.Y. Infantry / Harlem Hell Fighters (approx. 3.6 miles away); Colonel Warren H. Abernathy Highway (approx. 3.6 miles away); Kevin Earl Carper (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moore.
Also see . . . Nazareth Presbyterian Church. Official website of Nazareth Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Nazareth Church
Nazareth Church is situated in the district of Spartanburg, on the waters of Tyger river, towards its source. Its first formation proceeded from a few families, eight or ten in number, who obtained supplies in 1766, and were soon afterwards organized into a society.—(MS. Hist. of Second Presbytery of South Carolina.) The Rev. Robert H. Reid dates the first settlements on Tyger river about the year 1761. They certainly existed before the year 1765, for in that year the road that passes by the church between the North and Middle rivers was opened. The first settlers were Scotch-Irish from Pennsylvania. When they left the north of Ireland and came into Pennsylvania we have at present no means of ascertaining. Some of the families were in Pennsylvania as early as 1732, for in that year Captain Barry was born in that State. The names of the first settlers were Barry, Moore, Anderson, Collins, Thompson, Vernon, Pearson, Jamison, Dodd, Ray, Penrey, McMahon, and Nichol. About the year 1767 or 1768 their numbers were increased by a colony which came directly from the north of Ireland. They were each entitled to one hundred acres of land by a grant from his majesty George II., and the old titles bear date in 176S. The families of Caldwell, Coan, Snoddy, Pedan, Alexander, Gaston, Morton, and perhaps some others, came at that
— Submitted February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on February 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.