Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edwardsburg in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Presbyterian Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
The Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
1. The Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. In 1831, Luther Humphrey of the American Home Missionary Society organized the Presbyterian Church of Edwardsburg. He described the village as "a few log cabins...standing amongst the bushes and brush." Members worshipped in homes until the chapel was built in 1856. In 1923, Emily Coolidge Chapin of Chicago donated money to renovate the church. The former Edwardsburg resident was the widow of iron entrepreneur Charles Chapin.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2079/354.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 47.83′ N, 86° 5.073′ W. Marker is in Edwardsburg, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on Lake Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 68961 Lake St, Edwardsburg MI 49112, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith's Chapel (approx. 3.7 miles away); The History of Boot Lake (approx. 5 miles away in Indiana); Trooper Richard T. Gaston, PE# 6679
Entrance to The Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
2. Entrance to The Presbyterian Church
Marker to the left of the entrance
(approx. 6 miles away in Indiana); Howard Township Hall (approx. 6.2 miles away); Mother Angela Gillespie, C.S.C. (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Relocation (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana); Historic Cross Relocation (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana).
 
More about this marker. Marker is affixed to the front wall of the church next to the main entrance.
 
Regarding The Presbyterian Church. The church is American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Society Site No. 354 and one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In 1830, missionary Luther Humphrey arrived in Edwardsburg, Michigan, where
The Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
3. The Presbyterian Church
he preached to a small congregation in the house of Jacob Smith. Humphrey’s wife Sarah, along with Sylvester and Harriet Meachem, decided to formally organize a church. The group resolved, “to admit no one to membership who would not abstain from the use of ardent spirits as an article of drink..." Soon after its organization, the church adopted the Congregational mode of government, in agreement with a plan of union proposed by the General Assembly of the PCUSA. In 1854 the congregation built its second sanctuary. The current brick exterior dates from 1923. In 1877, a majority of church members elected to join the Presbytery of Kalamazoo of the PCUSA.

 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   2. submitted on July 12, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   3. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.