Coldwater in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1987 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L657A/281.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 56.528′ N, 85° 0.015′ W. Marker is in Coldwater, Michigan, in Branch County. Marker is at the intersection of Marshall Street (Old U.S. 27) and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on Marshall Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 52 Marshall Street, Coldwater MI 49036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frank D. Newberry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Loomis' Battery (about 500 feet away); Branch County World War I Memorial (about 500 feet away); Old Sam (about 500 feet away); Branch County World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial (about 500 feet away); The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961 (about 500 feet away); Branch County Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coldwater.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The church is also an American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 281 and one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvinís seal and the siteís registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society
The First Presbyterian Church of Coldwater was organized in 1837. The congregation built its present Romanesque Revival church in 1866. When completed, it was the largest church in town. Members of the church were active in the Underground Railroad and the movement to abolish slavery. The sanctuary hosted speakers such as suffragist Elizabeth Cady Stanton and former slave and womenís rights advocate Sojourner Truth. Henry P. Collin, minister of the church from 1879 to 1905, pioneered continuing education for adults and served for many years as president both of the city school board and the library. The congregationís support of Collin in the face of presbytery objections caused it to leave the PCUSA from 1896 until 1907.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on August 21, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.