Lawrence Township in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Location. 40° 17.891′ N, 74° 43.745′ W. Marker is in Lawrence Township, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker is on Lawrenceville Road (Main Street) (U.S. 206) 0 miles from Gordon Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2688 Lawrenceville Rd, Lawrence Township NJ 08648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Moore’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Lawrence House, 1840 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Town Hall (about 400 feet away); Revolutionary War Site (was approx. 1.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Route of Washington’s March (approx. 2.4 miles away); Temple-Ryan Farmhouse (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Route of Washington’s March (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Route of Washington’s March (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrence Township.
Regarding Maidenhead Church. There is some additional information
First Presbyterian Church (formerly Maidenhead Church) is a contributing building within the Lawrence Township Historic District that was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
First Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville was first established by settlers who came from Long Island and Connecticut in the late 17th Century. Land was opened for settlement in the 1690s and in 1689, a plot in the town formerly called Maindenhead was granted to settlers for the purposes of building a cemetery, school house, and church. The Presbyterian settlers exchanged this land for the present day site in 1710. John Hart, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was baptized here in 1713. The current colonial style brick church was erected in 1764 and was enlarged twice during the 19th century. The chapel was constructed in 1898 and now houses
Also see . . . The Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville website. There is some additional information about the history of Maidenhead Church on the current church's website. (Submitted on August 5, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 917 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.