Fredon Township in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Yellow Frame Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 2008 by Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders and Sussex County Historic Marker Committee. (Marker Number 361.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders marker series.
Location. 40° 59.737′ N, 74° 51.594′ W. Marker is in Fredon Township, New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker is on Yellow Frame Road near New Jersey Route 94. Touch for map. Located just off Route 94 North at the border of Sussex and Warren Counties; marker is located on the lawn of the church grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Newton NJ 07860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Logg Gaol (approx. 2.4 miles away); Johnsonburg (approx. 2½ miles away); Casper Shafer (approx. 2.8 miles away); Fredon (approx. 3½ miles away); Thomas Woolverton's Tavern (approx. 4.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Blairstown (approx. 5.2 miles away); Simeon Cook Residence (approx. 5.2 miles away); Dr. John C. Johnson Residence (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Regarding Yellow Frame Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church of Upper Hardwick is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
All that remains of the original First Presbyterian Church of Upper Hardwick is the original cemetery, which straddles Dark Moon Road. Sometime between 1750 and 1763 Presbyterian settlers of northwestern New Jersey built a log church. It was the first Presbyterian church in the region. After the Revolutionary War, the area’s mineral wealth led to an expanding population and the need for a new church. The congregation moved to Shaw’s Lane, north of
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,167 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on February 8, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 2, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.