New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1963 by The New York Community Trust. (Marker Number 388.)
Location. 40° 44.056′ N, 73° 59.704′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue and West 11th Street on 5th Avenue. Touch for map. This marker is located in Greenwich Village. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 5th Avenue, New York NY 10003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of the Ascension (within shouting distance of this marker); Beatrix Farrand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dawn Powell (about 400 feet away); Emma Lazarus (about 500 feet away); Frank O'Hara (about 600 feet away); Eleanor Roosevelt Marianne Moore (about 700 feet away); Birthplace of Galo Plaza Lasso (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The first Presbyterian church in New York City was established in 1716. The congregation's first sanctuary was a small building on Wall Street. During the Revolutionary War, the British confiscated the building to use as a barracks and riding school. In 1844, the congregation moved to Fifth Avenue. Architect Joseph G. Wells modeled the church on the Magdalen Tower in Oxford, England, and the Church of St. Saviour in Bath, England. In 1918, Madison Square Presbyterian Church and University Place Presbyterian Church merged into First Presbyterian Church. The new church was renamed “The
Also see . . . Greenwich Village, First Presbyterian Church - Flicker. First Presbyterian, established in 1716, built its first church on Wall Street in 1719. It was called "The Church of Patriots" during the struggle for American Independence. By 1840, to keep pace with its growth, the congregation chose to move to the more residential Greenwich Village. (Submitted on May 28, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.