Near Hookstown in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of the First Presbyterian Church of Beaver County Pennsylvania
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected by Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation. (Marker Number 14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Beaver County (PA) Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation marker series.
Location. 40° 34.314′ N, 80° 28.797′ W. Marker is near Hookstown, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is on Old Mill Creek Church Road 0.3 miles east of Pennsylvania Route 168, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hookstown PA 15050, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mill Creek (approx. 1˝ miles away); Site of Early Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Swearingen Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); David Littell House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Midland Education (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Penna - Virginia Boundary (approx. 4.8 miles away); Cooks Ferry (approx. 4.8 miles away); Georgetown Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hookstown.
Regarding Site of the First Presbyterian Church of Beaver County Pennsylvania.
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Mill Creek Cemetery is the site of the first three church structures of the Mill Creek Presbyterian Church organized in 1784, the oldest religious institution in Beaver County. In 1799, Rev. George M. Scott became the first regular pastor. One of Dr. John McMillan's last services was held at Mill Creek in 1833. The first church building was a log cabin without doors or windows as a protection against Indian attacks. This structure is depicted in the artist's conception presented above. It was lighted from openings in the roof which served as lookouts and entered through an underground passage. The second building of hewn log, in use on the site in 1799, was replaced by a brick building in 1832.
Also see . . .
1. Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation. (Submitted on January 13, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Presbyterian Historical Society of America (Submitted on January 18, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. Rev George Scott at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on April 1, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on January 13, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.