Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Darlington in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Greersburg Academy

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Greersburg Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, October 9, 2011
1. Greersburg Academy Marker
Large format marker
Inscription. Reverend Thomas E Hughes recognizing the need for a school for the frontier obtained approval and full support from the Erie Presbytery April 13, 1802 to construct a building and form a seminary. He proceeded to build the so called stone pile and the school was chartered by the Pennsylvania Legislature in 1806 as the first academy west of the Allegheny Mountains. Reverend Hughes was the school master for the first four years. The academy served the area well over the next 100 years turning out many graduates of note such as William Holmes McGuffey, Walter Forward, John Geary and John Brown all of whom became famous for their deeds. The building is now preserved by the Little Beaver Historical Society.
 
Erected by Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation. (Marker Number 47.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Beaver County (PA) Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation marker series.
 
Location. 40° 48.602′ N, 80° 25.413′ W. Marker is in Darlington, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker can be reached from Market Street (Pennsylvania Route 551) 0 miles north of Old Darlington Road. Touch for map. This marker is attached to the front of the building,
Greersburg Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, October 9, 2011
2. Greersburg Academy Marker
the other marker is on a post in front of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: PO Box 304, Darlington, PA, Darlington PA 16115, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Greersburg Academy (a few steps from this marker); Darlington Borough (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel Leasure (within shouting distance of this marker); Free Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Sprott House (approx. ¼ mile away); Caughey's Mill (approx. half a mile away); First Permanent Structure of Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Chartered In 1798 (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
 
Regarding Greersburg Academy. Greersburg Academy was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. This building is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical
Petroglyph Rock image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, October 9, 2011
3. Petroglyph Rock
Rock with Indian Petroglyphs and Conestoga Wagon date. Located near entrance to Greersburg Academy (Little Beaver Historical Society). Rock was discovered at Lock 7, Georgetown, Ohio River
Society website:

At its meeting on April 13, 1802 the Presbytery of Erie resolved to give aid to erect an academy at Greersburg. The original building, probably completed in 1804, is the oldest building in Beaver County. Greersburg was the first academy west of Pittsburgh and served as an educational institution for a hundred years. Rev. William H. McGuffey, author of the McGuffey Readers; John Brown of Harper's Ferry fame; Walter Forward, Treasurer of the United States; and John W. Geary, Governor of Pennsylvania, were a few of those who received education at Greersburg Academy.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Beaver County Historical and Landmarks Foundation. Marker Program (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 

2. William Holmes McGuffey at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. Walter Forward at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
4. John White Geary at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Education
 
Petroglyph Rock sign image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, October 9, 2011
4. Petroglyph Rock sign
Boulder from Lock 7, Georgetown, Ohio River with Indian Petroglyphs and Conestoga Wagon date. Donated by Bub Crane
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 490 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement