Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

East Liberty Presbyterian Church

Historic Landmark

 

—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —

 
East Liberty Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 4, 2013
1. East Liberty Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.
East Liberty Presbyterian Church
Built 1931-1935
Cram & Ferguson, Architects

 
Erected by Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation. (Marker Number 363.)
 
Location. 40° 27.682′ N, 79° 55.528′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Touch for map. Located in Pittsburgh's East Liberty section. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 South Highland Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15206, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Motor Square Garden (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Portal of Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Suburban Catalyst (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peter's Evangelical and Reformed Church (approx. ¼ mile away); 1st Drive-In Filling Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Congregation B'nai Israel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Regarding East Liberty Presbyterian Church. East Liberty Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian
East Liberty Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 4, 2013
2. East Liberty Presbyterian Church Marker
Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

The land for East Liberty Presbyterian Church was donated in 1819, and the congregation was formally organized as the First Presbyterian Church of East Liberty in 1828. The current sanctuary, a massive gothic building with stained glass windows, opened in 1935. It occupies a full city block, and it has 100 rooms, a 202-foot nave, and an Aeolian-Skinner organ with 7,734 pipes. The church’s architect, Ralph Adams Cram, also designed Princeton’s University Chapel. The building was a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Richard Beatty Mellon to serve as a monument to Presbyterianism in Western Pennsylvania. In May 1958, the church hosted the final General Assembly meeting for the PCUSA before it joined with the United Presbyterian Church of North America.
 
Also see . . .  East Liberty Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on May 6, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on August 23, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement