Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Shippensburg in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Middle Spring Church

 
 
Middle Spring Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 30, 2015
1. Middle Spring Church Marker
Inscription. Founded 1738 by pioneer Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. Until 1781, the church was at the old cemetery which is about one-tenth mile NW from here. Present church built, 1847; parsonage built, 1855.
 
Erected 1950 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. (Marker Number 104.)
 
Location. 40° 4.901′ N, 77° 32.477′ W. Marker is near Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Middle Spring Road 0.2 miles north of Walleye Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shippensburg PA 17257, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Fallen Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Middle Spring Presbyterian Church Commemorative Marker (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lt. James F. Bearer, USMC Memorial Trees (approx. 1.9 miles away); One-Room Schoolhouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); Locust Grove Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); William C. Ashwell (approx. 2.3 miles away); Shippensburg (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lifeline of the Valley: The Cumberland Valley Railroad (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shippensburg.
 
Regarding Middle Spring Church.
Middle Spring Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 30, 2015
2. Middle Spring Church and Marker
Middle Spring Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

As early as 1736, preaching services were held on the banks of Middle Spring Creek. Scotch-Irish settlers constructed the first meeting house in 1738. The present red brick building, erected in 1847, is the fourth used by the congregation on this site. Thomas Craighead, the first pastor, was succeeded by John Blair and then Thomas Cooper, who served as a chaplain in the Revolutionary War. Three cemeteries surround the church, the oldest dating to the 1730s.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on August 24, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement