Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Burton Village Historic District
In recognition of its noteworthy representation of the history, culture, and architecture of the Western Reserve, Burton Village's Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The Historic District, an area of approximately 20 acres surrounding the Village Green and along streets at the north end of the Green, includes 15 buildings of historical significance built between 1815 and 1891. Preserved within the District are commercial and public buildings and private dwellings that reflect the cultural and architectural development of a village of the Western Reserve of Ohio during the 19th century. Buildings in the predominant architectural styles of the 19th century are all represented in the Historic District, including Western Reserve, Greek Revival, Second Empire, Italianate, and Queen Anne. [Continued on other side]
[Continued from other side] The Village of Burton epitomizes the beginning of the settlement of the Western Reserve and today maintains the unique charm and history of its earliest roots. On September 16, 1873, then member of Congress and later president of the United States, James A. Garfield delivered a message to the Historical Society of Geauga County meeting in Burton in which he said, "There are townships on the Western Reserve which
Erected 2009 by Historic Burton Restoration Group and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 28.23′ N, 81° 8.708′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is at the intersection of West Park Avenue and Cheshire Street, on the left when traveling east on West Park Avenue. Touch for map. Located at the southern end of the Village Green. Marker is in this post office area: Burton OH 44021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Under This Penstock Base (within shouting distance of this marker); Burton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hickox Brick (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (about 500 feet away); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (about 600 feet away); Burton Congregational Church (about 700 feet away); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
Categories. • Architecture • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.