Huntsburg in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC
The First Congregational Church of Claridon has served the community since it was dedicated in the summer of 1832. Twenty-seven souls from the Burton Congregational Church petitioned to form their own church in Claridon in November 1827, and their request was granted the following month. In 1830, a committee made up of Cotton Kellogg, Chester Treat, and Asa Cowles contracted with John Talbot and Rufus Hurlburt to build the church. When “sledding” came during the winter of 1831, logs were hauled to Cotton Kellogg’s sawmill to be cut into lumber. (Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side) In the spring of 1831, the church’s foundation stones were brought from Timothy Wells’ quarry and put into place. Rev. Luther “Priest” Humphrey donated the “Handsome Whitewood” tree from his land to the church. It is believed that its wood was used for the wainscoting and the backs of the pews. In 1955, the church was lifted from its foundation and a basement excavated underneath it. In 1966, the sanctuary was rebuilt. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic
Erected 2011 by Family of Phyllis Blaser Kopke and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 31.94′ N, 81° 8.584′ W. Marker is in Huntsburg, Ohio, in Geauga County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13942 Mayfield Road, Huntsburg OH 44046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welton Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Civil War Cannon (approx. 4.1 miles away); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (approx. 4.1 miles away); Burton Congregational Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (approx. 4.2 miles away); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Burton (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Also see . . . First Congregational Church of Claridon United Church of Christ. (Submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.