Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport in Orleans County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Newport's Fire Fighters / Les Pompiers de Newport

 
 
Newport's Fire Fighters / Les Pompiers de Newport Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2018
1. Newport's Fire Fighters / Les Pompiers de Newport Marker
Inscription.

The Memphremagog Hose Company, organized in 1885, was the first fire station of the Newport Village Fire Department. Two separate fire departments, the Memphremagog Hose Company (which included the former Batesville Company) and the West Derby Fire Department joined together to protect the new city in the late 19th century. The Batesville Company was one of the earliest fire-fighting units in the Newport area, created and sponsored by the Frost Veneer Company to protect its mill. Its one-story red firehouse was located on mill property, and most likely the first firefighters were millworkers. The West Derby Hose Company, at the end of Spring Street, was created at the end of the 19th century.

In 1918, the Memphremagog Hose Company reorganized under the new city charter, changing its name to the Newport Fire Department. In 1920, the Newport Fire Department acquired its first piece of motorized equipment, an Oldsmobile "Combination Chemical and Hose Truck." In 1925, a new fire station (Central Fire Station) was erected at the end of Field Avenue; this was the site of the Newport Fire Station for over 60 years, until it was taken down in 1998. City voters in 1996 decided to sell the fire station on Field Avenue to the State of Vermont in order to give Newport the funds needed to build a new, large fire station, completed in 1998,

Newport's Fire Fighters / Les Pompiers de Newport Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2018
2. Newport's Fire Fighters / Les Pompiers de Newport Marker
on Clyde Street near the Interstate highway.

[Photo captions, left to right, read]
• Central Fire Station circa 1925

• Memphremagog Hose Company circa 1896

———————————————————

La Memphremagog Hose Company, organisée en 1885, a été le premier poste de pompiers du département des pompiers du village de Newport. Deux différents départements de pompiers, la Memphremagog Hose Company (laquelle incluait l'ancienne Batesville Company) et la West Derby Fire Department, se sont unis pour protéger la nouvelle ville de Newport à la fin du 19e siècle. La Batesville Company, l'une des premières unités de combat contre les incendies de la région de Newport, avait été mise sur pied par la Frost Veneer Company pour protéger son moulin. Son poste de pompiers haut d'un étage et de couleur rouge était situé sur le terrain appartenant au moulin, et il est probable que les premiers pompiers aient été des travailleurs du moulin. La West Derby Hose Company, située au bout de la rue Spring, a été créée à la fin du 19e siècle.

En 1918, la Memphremagog Hose Company s'est réorganisée sous la nouvelle charte municipale, changeant son nom à Newport Fire Department (Département des Pompiers de Newport). En 1920, le Newport Fire Department a acquis sa première pièce d'équipement motorisé, un camion de marque Oldsmobile d'utilité combinée pour produits chimiques et boyaux d'arrosage. En 1925, un nouveau poste de pompiers, le Central Fire Station (Poste des Pompiers Central), a été érigé au bout de l'avenue Field. C'est à cet endroit que le poste des pompiers de Newport est demeuré pendant plus de 60 ans, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit démoli en 1998. En 1996, les électeurs municipaux ont décidé de vendre le post des pompiers de l'avenue Field à l'État du Vermont, afin de procurer à Newport les fonds nécessaires à la construction d'un nouveau poste de pompiers, plus grand, et dont la construction a été, complétée en 1998, sur la rue Clyde près de l'autoroute de l'Interstate.

[Légendes photo, de gauche à droite, lisez]
• Le Poste de Pompiers Central circa 1925

• (La Memphremagog Hose Company (compagnie de boyaux d'arrosage)) circa 1896
 
Erected by Memphremagog Historical Society. (Marker Number 10.)
 
Location. 44° 56.193′ N, 72° 12.659′ W. Marker is in Newport, Vermont, in Orleans County. Marker is on Field Avenue north of Seymour Lane, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport VT 05855, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early 20th Century, Newport / Newport au début du 20e siècle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early 19th Century Newport / Newport au dèbut du 19e siècle (about 700 feet away); Northern Forest Canoe Trail (about 700 feet away); The Lane Opera House / Le « Lane Opera House » (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newport's Hotels and Tourism / Les Hotels de Newport et le Tourisme (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tour Boats on the Lake / Les Bateaux de Randonnée sur le Lac (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pomerleau Park (approx. ¼ mile away); The Arrival of the Railroad / L'Arrivée du Chemin de Fer (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historical Walking Tour of Newport, Vt. Brochure. (Submitted on September 2, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. City of Newport VT Fire Department. (Submitted on September 2, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public Work

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.