Gonzales in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Gonzales
In 1902 the old church building was torn down and a brick Gothic style church building was erected. A one-story stucco edifice was built east of the church in 1926 to house the Sunday school, and an education building was added in the 1940s. A new parsonage was constructed in 1957, and the church buildings were renovated through the years to accommodate congregational growth.
Throughout its history, the church has been active in mission programs. Three missions were established in Gonzales: the Mexican Baptist mission, East Side Baptist Church and Memorial Heights Baptist Church. The congregation participates in community outreach programs including social assistance activities. The church has been an integral part of the Gonzales community for more than 150 years, and continues to serve the area.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1634.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 422 St. Paul Street, Gonzales TX 78629, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church Square (within shouting distance of this marker); First Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); Military Plaza (about 300 feet away); Gonzales County Jail (about 400 feet away); Gonzales Courthouse (about 400 feet away); James W. Robinson (about 500 feet away); Central Square (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gonzales.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 20 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.