Sioux Falls in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The First School House 1873
near this site was erected
The First School House
in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
This tablet placed by
Mary Chilton Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
Erected 1929 by Mary Chilton Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Location. 43° 32.603′ N, 96° 43.709′ W. Marker is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Avenue and West 12th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located near the sidewalk, in a small triangular plaza occupying the southwest corner of the intersection, on the north edge of a parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 South Main Avenue, Sioux Falls SD 57104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington High School (a few steps from this marker); Lt. Jonas Lien (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Government Building (about 500 feet away); Cigar Manufacturing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Dakota, D.T. Illinois Central Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Orpheum Theater (approx. half a mile away); Early Sioux Falls (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux Falls.
More about this marker. Marker is a DAR metal plaque, mounted on a large boulder. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series.
Also see . . . Public Schools of Sioux Falls. The first official action having for its object the establishment of public schools in Sioux Falls, was in 1871, when the County Superintendent, John Bippus, designated the boundaries of School District No. 1. Nothing further was done until April 14th, 1873, when County Superintendent A. Thome issued a notice for the first school meeting in the District. Although Sioux Falls was then dignified with a school organization, its officers were powerless to act, as the district had neither school house apparatus or funds wherewith to pay teachers. To overcome these difficulties, a special meeting of the voters of the District was called for the 12th of May, at which time a tax on the property in the District, of one per cent, was voted to be expended in building a school (Submitted on October 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.