Highland Township in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Squire and Dolly Rowe, who settled here in 1835, built this elegant, cut fieldstone house in 1855. The solid cobblestone, beaded mortar joint construction is highlighted by the pleasing and sophisticated use of delicate scrollwork under the eaves and by the smooth chiseled quoins, lintels and sills. Squire Rowe grew to a position of prominence in the community. After twenty-five terms as Township Supervisor, he served in the state legislature in 1865, the year before his death.
Erected 1976 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L351.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 37.337′ N, 83° 38.861′ W. Marker is in Highland Township, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Lone Tree Road 1.6 miles west of South Milford Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2360 Lone Tree Road, Milford MI 48380, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village Of Highland Station Priscilla Calkins Prior House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pettibone Creek Mills (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hibbard Tavern (approx. 3.1 miles away); Pettibone Grist Mill 1846 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Milford at Work (approx. 3.1 miles away); Phelps Saw Mill and Distillery (approx. 3.2 miles away); A Ford Village Industry (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.