Georgesville in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
(1918 - 2001)
Self-educated golfer Jack Kidwell grew up in central Ohio. From 1937 until 1971, he owned and operated the Beacon Light Golf Course, where he started as a caddie. In 1943, he married Geraldine "Jerry" Kidwell, his wife of 57 years, and had four daughters, Sally, Shirley, Kathy, and Jody. Kidwell became a Class "A" golf course superintendent and earned life membership status as a Class "A" PGA professional. His peers selected Kidwell as president of the American Society of Golf Course Architects in 1980. A member of the Ohio Turf Grass Association, he was honored as Man of the Year in 1982. His accomplishments gained him induction into the Southern Ohio PGA Hall of Fame in 1977 and the Ohio Golf Association Hall of Fame in 1997.
Jack Kidwell's professional skills, personal philosophy, playing ability, and numerous achievements spanned 60 years and quietly touched countless lives in and around golf. He designed and renovated over 100 golf courses in the state of Ohio during a prolific 40-year architectural career. He was once described as the "Johnny Appleseed of golf." His courses flow with the land, were built for the average golfer, and could be enjoyed at an affordable price. His design company, Kidwell and Hurdzan, gave rise to many successful architects, evolving
[Nearby Jack Kidwell Informational Marker]:
Course Architect and Director of Golf
Hickory Hills Golf Club Marker
For his unfailing interest, determination and effort in creating Hickory Hills Golf Club and for his leadership during the clubs formative years.
For providing, through personal example, an integrity and spirit that will serve Hickory Hills Golf Club and its members in years and decades to come.
In grateful appreciation, this presentation is made May 26, 1986
[Nearby Louis G. Ruscilli Informational Marker]:
Not one for laurels or platitudes, all he ever wanted was a great place to play golf with his friends.
It was through Louie's personal
Outside of his wife Mary and family, nothing was more important to Louie than Hickory Hills Golf Club.
[Nearby Hickory Hills Golf Club Founders Informational Marker]:
Hickory Hills Golf Club is a testament to the dedication, inspiration and tenacity of its founders. Two men, Don Skipper and Jack Kidwell, played important leadership roles in guiding the founding members past the many obstacles encountered in the building of this facility and the establishment of Hickory Hills as a successful golf club. It is with much appreciation that the ongoing membership honors the founders for their vision and generosity.
Dedicated May 25, 2003
Fred Balthaser • Robert Bethel • Joe Holdrieth, Jr. • E. E. McDermitt • Harold K. Meinberg • Joseph P. Mollica • Leo L. Phillips • Richard I. Poenisch • T. J. Riley • Louis G. Ruscilli • Vincent O. Simone • Donald M. Skipper • Edwin R. Watkins
Erected 2003 by Hickory Hills Golf Club Members and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 64-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History marker series.
Location. 39° 52.807′ N, 83° 13.984′ W. Marker is in Georgesville, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from Georgesville-Wrightsville Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in Kidwell Park, on grounds of Hickory Hills Golf Club. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3344 Georgesville-Wrightsville Road, Grove City OH 43123, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Darby and Little Darby Creeks (approx. 1.3 miles away); Galloway World War II Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); New Hampton and Ludlow's Road (approx. 4.6 miles away); New Hampton Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); West Jefferson (approx. 4.9 miles away); Sunset Cemetery War Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away); Sunset Cemetery All Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away); Sunset Cemetery Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Kidwell Park is an area north of clubhouse and past the putting green, between the Number 1 tee and the Number 18 green, that is dedicated to Jack Kidwell, Lou Ruscilli, and the Founders of Hickory Hills.
Categories. • 20th Century • Notable Persons • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,087 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.