Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ozona in Crockett County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Laura and William Peery Hoover

 
 
Laura and William Peery Hoover Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 23, 2018
1. Laura and William Peery Hoover Marker
Inscription. Although Indians, Spaniards, wagon trains, and military expeditions crossed through this area earlier, the first permanent settlers in present-day Crockett County were native Texans Laura (McNutt) (1862-1941) and William Peery Hoover (1854-1922), who settled here in 1881. Traveling by way of the Devils River and Beaver Lake, they migrated to this area with two children and 200 head of longhorn cattle. Their first home, constructed of cedar pickets, was located under a bluff overlooking the Pecos River.

The Hoovers had fourteen children, five of whom died in infancy. Isolated, the family had to be self-sufficient, since supply trips to the nearest towns, over 75 miles away, took several days.

Laura and William Hoover steadily acquired land and their holdings grew to over 100,000 acres. Their cattle were identified by the "Hoo" brand.

The Hoovers later moved to present-day Ozona (50 miles northeast) and became active in the development of the community. William was instrumental in the formation of Crockett County and helped organize the Ozona National Bank.

100 years after the Hoovers settled in this area, much of their land is still owned by descendants.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3049.)
 
Location.
Laura and William Peery Hoover Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 23, 2018
2. Laura and William Peery Hoover Marker
30° 29.131′ N, 101° 35.404′ W. Marker is near Ozona, Texas, in Crockett County. Marker is at the intersection of Hoover Divide Road (County Road 406) and Scott Canyon Road (County Road 409), on the left when traveling south on Hoover Divide Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ozona TX 76943, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruins of Fort Lancaster (approx. 14 miles away); Old Government Road (approx. 14.2 miles away); The Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole (approx. 14.2 miles away); Howard's Well (approx. 14.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Hoover, William Peery - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.