Gonzales in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
September 29, 1835
the Mexican government troops
demanded the return of
the Gonzales cannon.
After two days delay,
awaiting recruits, the colonists
answered, "Come and Take It."
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 2214.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 28.963′ N, 97° 26.891′ W. Marker is in Gonzales, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is on County Road 197 west of U.S. 183, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gonzales TX 78629, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Eighteen (here, next to this marker); Santa Anna Mound (approx. half a mile away); Green Dewitt Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sarah Seely De Witt (approx. 0.6 miles away); Campsite Marking Start of San Jacinto Campaign (approx. one mile away); 1834 Homesite of Capt. and Mrs. Almaron Dickinson Site of Indian Fort (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gonzales Cannon Burial Site (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gonzales.
Also see . . . Gonzales Come and Take It Cannon - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 3, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 3, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.