Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fleming Island in Clay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery

 
 
St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 20, 2018
1. St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Hibernia Plantation was founded in 1790 by Irish immigrant George Fleming on a 1,000-acre grant from the Governor of Spanish East Florida. George died in 1821 and his son Lewis inherited Hibernia. Lewis had three children by his first wife. After she died, in 1837 he married Margaret Seton of Fernandina and had seven more children. After the Civil War, the widowed Margaret converted the damaged plantation house into a tourist resort. Church services were held in the mansionís parlor, while she planned the construction of a chapel. She began building it in 1875 in coordination with Episcopal Bishop John F. Young. The church was named in honor of Saint Margaret of Scotland. The first service, held on April 6, 1878, was for Margaretís funeral. The chapel was relocated to this location in 1880. The wooden Gothic Vernacular church has a memorial window depicting Margaret Fleming teaching children. The cemetery contains graves of the Fleming family, including George; Lewis; Margaret; their son Francis P. Fleming, Florida Governor (1889-1893); and veterans from the Second Seminole and Civil wars. The church and cemetery were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
 
Erected 2016 by Clay County Historic Preservation Board, The Clay County Board of County Commissioners and the Florida
St. Margaret's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 20, 2018
2. St. Margaret's Episcopal Church
Department of State. (Marker Number F-928.)
 
Location. 30° 4.032′ N, 81° 41.78′ W. Marker is in Fleming Island, Florida, in Clay County. Marker is on Old Church Road 0.2 miles north of Augusta Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6874 Old Church Road, Fleming Island FL 32003, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.9 miles away); Camp Chowenwaw (approx. 2.1 miles away); William Bartram Scenic Highway (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Johns County / New Switzerland Plantation (approx. 3 miles away); Beluthahatchee (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club (approx. 5.2 miles away); Green Cove Springs (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Clay County Courthouse (approx. 5.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  St. Margaret's Episcopal Church. Wikipedia (Submitted on January 6, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 
St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 20, 2018
3. St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery
St. Margaret's Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 20, 2018
4. St. Margaret's Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 6, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the bookís title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.