Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Cameron

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Cameron Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. First United Methodist Church of Cameron Marker
Inscription.  This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church.

Until 1885 the Methodist congregation in Cameron was part of a preaching circuit. Early ministers included the Rev. Pleasant M. Yell and the Rev. John W. Devilbiss. By 1885, the church had grown so that it was given a full-time pastor, the Rev. J. E. Green.

Four years earlier, in 1881, the congregation had constructed its first church building, during the pastorate of the Rev. J. H. Collard. Larger facilities were needed by the end of the nineteenth century, and a new brick sanctuary was completed in 1901. The current building was first used for services in 1923.

Over the years, First United Methodist Church of Cameron has provided significant service and leadership to the community. The congregation has been host to the Texas Annual Conference of Methodist Churches and has produced several ministers from its membership. Today the church continues to reflect
First United Methodist Church of Cameron image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
2. First United Methodist Church of Cameron
the ideals and traditions of its founders.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7949.)
 
Location. 30° 51.114′ N, 96° 58.652′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and North Travis Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 West 2nd Street, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. All Saints Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank of Cameron (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (about 700 feet away); Milam County Courthouse (about 800 feet away); Ben Milam (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Milam County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milam County Jail of 1895 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for First United Methodist Church of Cameron.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement