Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cordova Hotel/County Courthouse

 
 
Cordova Hotel/County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, 1993
1. Cordova Hotel/County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Designed and built by Franklin W. Smith, the Casa Monica Hotel opened in January 1888. The medieval Spanish style structure was one of the earliest multi-storied buildings in the United States constructed of poured concrete. In April 1888, Henry M. Flagler purchased the hotel and renamed it the Cordova. Soon regarded as the annex to the neighboring Alcazar Hotel and in fact connected by an upper level passageway, the Cordova Hotel remained open until the Depression forced its closure in 1932. In 1961, the Florida East Coast Hotel Company sold the structure to the St. Johns County Commission which remodeled the building for use as a courthouse. The Cordova Hotel was dedicated as the St. Johns County Courthouse on May 29, 1968.
 
Erected by St. Johns Historical Commission.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 29° 53.524′ N, 81° 18.829′ W. Marker was in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker was at the intersection of Cordova Street and King Street (Business U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north on Cordova Street. Touch for map. Marker was removed when the courthouse moved to its new location. Marker was at or near this postal address: 95 Cordova Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. William Wing Loring (within shouting distance of this marker); Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Government House: Changing of the Guard (within shouting distance of this marker); Tolomato Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alcazar Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Pedro Menendez De Aviles (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Pedro Menéndez de Aviles (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosario Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Regarding Cordova Hotel/County Courthouse. After the courthouse moved to its new location, the building was purchased, remodeled and returned to the original name of the hotel, the Casa Monica.
 
Also see . . .  The Casa Monica Hotel. (Submitted on February 7, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. Architecture
 
More. Search the internet for Cordova Hotel/County Courthouse.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on February 7, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.