Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gerolzhofen in Landkreis Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Centtor / “Cent” Gate

 
 
Centtor / "Cent" Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 22, 2018
1. Centtor / "Cent" Gate Marker
Inscription.   Zur Verstärkung des inneren Tors wurde 1472 unter Bischof Rudolf von Scherenberg hier ein vorgelagertes Torhaus mit zwei flankierenden Türmen errichtet. Im Jahr 1600 baut Bischof Julius Echter die Doppeltor-Anlage weiter aus, sein Wappenstein ist erhalten geblieben.

-

English translation:

In 1472, as part of the strengthening of the inner city gates under Bishop Rudolf von Scherenberg, a gatehouse with two flanking towers was erected here. In 1600, under Bishop Julius Echter, this double-gated entryway was expanded, and a stone with Echter's coat-of-arms has been preserved.
 
Location. 49° 54.119′ N, 10° 20.839′ E. Marker is in Gerolzhofen, Bavaria, in Landkreis Schweinfurt. Marker is on Marktstraße just south of Rügshöfer Strasse, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Marktstraße 16, Gerolzhofen, Bavaria 97447, Germany. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Watchmen's Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Owl's Tower (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Chapel of St. John

Centtor / "Cent" Gate Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 22, 2018
2. Centtor / "Cent" Gate Marker - wide view
The marker is visible here just to the left of the door, and the coat-of-arms that is mentioned on the marker, is above and to the right of the doorway.
(about 120 meters away); Ehemalige Vogtei / Former Bailiff's Building (about 120 meters away); Parish Church (about 150 meters away); Baroque Crucifixion Sculpture (about 150 meters away); Catholic Rectory (about 150 meters away); Frankenwinheimer Tor / Frankenwinheim Gate (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gerolzhofen.
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
Coat-of-Arms of Bishop Julius Echter image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 22, 2018
3. Coat-of-Arms of Bishop Julius Echter
Many Bavarian public buildings built in the late medieval period or later have a dedication plaque of sorts, usually indicating who was responsible for construction, and also usually having some sort of religious praise for God. In this instance the plaque was preserved and is visible above the coat-of-arms, with three successive rhyming couplets indicating that Bishop Echter built this (gate) for Gerolzhofen.
 

More. Search the internet for Centtor / "Cent" Gate.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement