Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sharon Springs in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Main Street Tour

 
 
Historic Main Street Tour Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, March 9, 2019
1. Historic Main Street Tour Marker
Inscription. Amiel Samson constructed this building circa 1915 to house his grocery store and the First National Bank. He and his family occupied the second floor, which had large spacious rooms and a hall skylight. The grocery store was located in the right (south) section on the main floor while the First National Bank, later known as Central National Bank, occupied the left side. In 1955, the Sharon Springs Post Office moved into the Samson store space from across the street. Postal clerk George Jackson moved his family upstairs. When the bank and post office constructed their new building on the corner of Main Street and Route 20 in 1989, the Samson Block building was donated to the Rural Preservation Compats. After sitting vacant for almost ten years, the building was sold in 1997 and restored into two shop fronts and three apartments upstairs by partners Chris and Patricia Eaves and Todd and Louise Spofford. This partnership also bought and renovated the adjacent house to the right (south) of the Samson building in 1998. Built circa 1840, the house appears on the 1856 map of the village as owned by Dr. Green and was later operated as a boarding house by the Grosmayer family from 1870-1925. The house was famous for its teas and gardens. The Fuchs family owned it as the Monticelio Cottages in the latter half the 20th century. This Greek Revival
Historic Main Street Tour Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, March 9, 2019
2. Historic Main Street Tour Marker
style house retains an elliptical Federal Fan motif in the center front gable, which is a commonly found architectural design in this area of New York.
 
Erected 1999 by The Sharon Historical Society.
 
Location. 42° 47.673′ N, 74° 37.051′ W. Marker is in Sharon Springs, New York, in Schoharie County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon Springs NY 13459, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (about 700 feet away); Chestnut Street Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The White Sulphur Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Magnesia Temple and Baths (approx. ¼ mile away); The Lehman Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rockville (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon Springs.
 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Historic Main Street Tour Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, March 9, 2019
3. Historic Main Street Tour Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.