Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)
To preserve the sense of community he cherished as a student, Mr. Sharp funded construction of Mitchell Hall, which has served as an assembly hall and theatre, and residence hall, which was completed in 1954.
Mr. Sharp even helped to plant elms on The Green as part of a plan by renowned landscape architect Marian C. Coffin.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Location. 39° 40.928′ N, 75° 45.131′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green north of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955) (within shouting distance of this marker); George Abram Harter (1853-1943) (within shouting distance of this marker); Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) (about 300 feet away); Elliott Hall (about 300 feet away); Professor Theodore Wolf (1850-1909) (about 400 feet away); Alumni Hall (about 400 feet away); E. A. Trabant University Center (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.