Altamont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
IN 1879, JAMES OSTRANDER BOUGHT a large lot on Church Street, and built a thriving shoe business. In 1882, he sold a portion of the lot to Charles Taber, who opened a tin shop on the site. Both businesses were lost in the 1886 fire, and both rebuilt on site. Mr. Taber built a two-story residence and store. In April 1894, John Secor bought the property for use as a tin shop and stove store, but he died less than a year later. Harmon Van Schaick leased the building as a hardware store, followed by Ira Secor and A. J. Manchester, who opened a plumbing business. In June 1901, the owners of the Enterprise purchased the building, as the first permanent home for the newspaper. The first issue from the new location was published 13 December 1901.
Erected by Hudson River Valley Greenway. (Marker Number 12.)
Location. 42° 42.142′ N, 74° 2.001′ W. Marker is in Altamont, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Altamont NY 12009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Great Fire (a few steps from this marker); Beebe Harness Shop (a few steps from this marker); Fire Department/Village Hall (a few steps from this marker); The Carriage Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln Avenue School (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John’s Lutheran Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Altamont (about 400 feet away); Home Front Cafe (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Altamont.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 150 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.