Lititz in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Pilgerhaus - 1754
First House in Lititz
In 1760, the congregational store was located in the Pilgerhaus. It remained here until 1764, when it moved across the street to 120 East Main Street.
The Pilgerhaus was also the first hotel in Lititz. In 1762, the Zum Anker, of "Sign of the Anchor," was originally located here. In 1764, the inn moved to a newly constructed two-story building on the corner of Broad and Main Street and is known today as the General Sutter Inn.
In 1765, this became the home of David Tannenberg, the famous organ builder. He set up his shop in a stone building behind the Pilgerhaus. Here he constructed about forty-five instruments until falling to his death while installing an organ in York in 1804.
From December 19, 1777 to August 28, 1778, about 200 sick and wounded soldiers from General Washington's Army were cared for in the nearby hospital that was established in the Brothers House. Various officers and doctors were quartered in the Pilgerhaus during this
In 1862, Rev. Julius Beckler founded Sunnyside College for Girls. He replaced the two-story stone Pilgerhaus with the current three-story brick building (except for the rear stone wall). A third floor was added. In the back, you can still see the first and second floor made of stone, while the third is made of brick.
Location. 40° 9.401′ N, 76° 18.208′ W. Marker is in Lititz, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on East Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 772) east of North Cedar Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 East Main Street, Lititz PA 17543, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lititz Pharmacopoeia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Continental Army (about 300 feet away); The Heritage Center (about 300 feet away); Lititz Moravian Congregation (about 400 feet away); 66 East Main Street (about 400 feet away); Linden Hall (about 500 feet away); On This Site in 1861 Julius Sturgis (about 600 feet away); General Johann Agust Sutter Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lititz.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for The Pilgerhaus - 1754.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.