University of Scranton Centennial
On this site on August 12, 1888, Bishop William O'Hara laid the cornerstone for "Old Main," the original building for St. Thomas College, now the University of Scranton, northeastern Pennsylvania's oldest four-year college. Presently located on a campus surrounding the former estate of Joseph H. Scranton, one of the city's founding citizens, the university was served for many years by the Christian Brothers before its administration was assumed by the Jesuits in 1942.
Erected 1988 by University of Scranton.
Location. 41° 24.634′ N, 75° 39.798′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on Wyoming Avenue south of Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 Wyoming Avenue, Scranton PA 18503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scranton Preparatory School (a few steps from this marker); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Debra Records (about 500
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . University of Scranton. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
More. Search the internet for "Old Main".
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.