Plymouth in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Conner Building
The name of Conner has been associated with this site since Plymouth's earliest days. In 1857, Michael Conner (1821-95) arrived in Plymouth and purchased the hardware business at this corner that had been started by C.H. Bennett. Conner replaced the original frame building in 1884 and then again in 1898 with the present brick structure. The brick building originally had a decorative stone and brick balustrade that ran above the corner turret and building roofline that is no longer in place today.
Conner's store sold just about everything except groceries and clothing. It opened at 6 a.m. and seldom closed before 11 p.m. The store was also a popular gathering place in the evening for discussions of politics and the issues of the day. The store even served as the headquarters for the local Democratic political party.
In addition to serving as Village President in 1868, 1884 and 1889, Conner is also credited with starting the first Plymouth band in the mid-1880's with Conner playing the coronet. The Plymouth Historical Museum has the diary of Conner's daughter, Mamie (Mary), that details the social activities of early
After Michael's death in 1895, his son William continued the business until his death in 1939. The Conner name still exists today on the side brick wall along Penniman Avenue. This building was also the final home of the popular Cassady's Dress Shop run by Norma Cassady form 1933 - 1966.
Erected 2013 by Plymouth Preservation Network.
Location. 42° 22.255′ N, 83° 28.15′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Penniman Avenue and South Main Street, on the left when traveling south on Penniman Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 298 South Main Street, Plymouth MI 48170, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Plymouth United Savings Bank (a few steps from this marker); The Penniman Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Rose of Aberlone (within shouting distance of this marker); Baker House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wilcox House (about 500 feet away); Plymouth (about 500 feet away); Gunsolly Carding Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Roadside Development (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Also see . . . Historic Plymouth Discovery of Conner Hardware. According to this article, Michael Conner died in 1896 and his son William built the current building in 1898. (Submitted on July 15, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Politics •
More. Search the internet for The Conner Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Far view of the marker and building. • Can you help?