Lewis in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Maccabee Hall and Other Lewis Landmarks
The red building, known as the Adirondack Outdoor and Taxidermy, dates back to the 1800's. This buiiding was a general store in 1816. owned by George Steele. The store had many owners over the years: Mr. and Mrs. Mike Parker, Pete Dickerson, Frank and Annalita Stevens, Ralph and Ferris Nichols, and Willis and Mildred Dickerson. The Dickersons ran the store during 1848 when it was an IGA (shown here) until the Northway went through in 1967 and
in 1908, the Grange Hall was created and was another meeting place especially in the colder months. The Fish and Game Club used this space as well as Maccabee Hall for their meetings. (Marker Number 5.)
Location. 44° 16.494′ N, 73° 33.951′ W. Marker is in Lewis, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on U.S. 9 south of Fox Run Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewis NY 12950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis Hotel and Central School (within shouting distance of this marker); Inez Milholland (within shouting distance of this marker); Atlas F Missle Silo Site in Lewis, NY and War Veterans (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Lewis Veterans Park (about 700 feet away); Edgar P. Wadhams (approx. 2˝ miles away); John Brown’s Body (approx. 4˝ miles away); Elizabethtown War Memorials (approx. 4˝ miles away); Toll-Gate House (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewis.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Maccabee Hall and Other Lewis Landmarks.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.