Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
By John Ziegenbein as a general store
Sold to Herman Lohse 1879; to George Aldrich 1881;
To A.C. Fleming (& Alex Hemphill) in 1888
Bank of Lincoln, Lincoln’s first bank, here 1902 – 1911
U.S. Post Office here 1914 – 1924
First Lincoln library here 1906 – 1909
Other well-known long term occupants:
A.B. Crook & Son, Groceries, 1896 – 1917
Goodenough Jewelry, 1916 – 1960
Wyatt Hardware, 1925 – 1933
Hellewell Groceries, 1935 – 1942
Creer Bros., Groceries, 1942 – 1956
(See local history books for other occupants)
Erected 1996 by Silver Star Parlor No.63, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 53.513′ N, 121° 17.552′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is on 5th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the 5th Street side of the Soy Candles-Yankee Candles-Unique Gifts and Collectables Store at 505 “G” Street (Highway 65). Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. I O O F Building (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hoppert Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Emmada Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Butterfield/Jansen Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Beerman Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson (about 600 feet away); McTyeire Memorial Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Also see . . .
1. The Native Sons of the Golden West, Lincoln, Ca. The Native Sons of the Golden West, have dedicated four historical markers with more in the future. There also is a photo of the current owners of the Fleming Building. (Submitted on April 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Feats of Clay Magazine has a great Walking Tour of Old Town-Lincoln. Its description of The Fleming Building:
John Ziegenbein came into Lincoln from Daneville, about 5 miles NNE of Lincoln and bought this corner site in 1863. In 1888 A.C. Fleming and Alex Hemphill acquired the store, in the 1890’s they divided it into several stores. In the first half of the 20th century the Bank of Lincoln was on the corner from 1902-1911. This site housed a lot of different businesses (Submitted on April 14, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. A Look Into the Past-The Fleming Building
From Page 1 of the Lincoln Newsletter LiveLife Lincoln, Issue 2, Winter 2007. (http://www.ci.lincoln.ca.us/pagedownloads/Lincoln_Newsletter_02.pdf)
“Unwashed and unshaven, a tired-looking horseman rode up to the new brick building in 1860’s Lincoln. He swung slowly off his horse and tied it to one of the hitching posts lining the dusty street.
Obviously a miner, he strode inside the building and swaggered up to the clerk in charge. Carefully removing a leather pouch from an inside pocket, he offered the contents – gold nuggets and gold dust from Auburn Ravine – for weighing and conversion into cash.
Many miners from the claims around Lincoln brought their gold here for weighing and selling. The local Wells Fargo agent served the public from the Fleming Building. Early Lincoln entrepreneur John Ziegenbein erected this brick structure in 1863, which still stands on the northeast corner of 5th and G Streets
By the 1890’s, Fleming and Hemphill owned the building. Through the years a great variety of businesses occupied the premises, including the Bank of Lincoln, the U.S. Post Office, the Lincoln Public Library, grocery stores, barber shops, jewelry stores, as well as many other retail shops.
By 1912 Fleming alone owned the building, and it has been in the Fleming family and providing goods and services to Lincoln ever since.”
— Submitted April 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,175 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 3. submitted on April 9, 2009. 4. submitted on April 11, 2009. 5. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.