Metter in Candler County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Candler County Courthouse
Erected 1980 by United States Department of Interior. (Marker Number 80000984.)
Location. 32° 23.803′ N, 82° 3.741′ W. Marker is in Metter, Georgia, in Candler County. Marker is on West Broad Street (Georgia Route 46/23) near North Kennedy Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Courthouse Square entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Metter GA 30439, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Candler County (within shouting distance of this marker); American Legion Armed Forces Tribute (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Candler County War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pulaski, Georgia (approx. 6.2 miles away); Excelsior and its Academy (approx. 8.1 miles away); a different marker also named Old Sunbury Road (approx. 9.3 miles away); Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House (approx. 10.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metter.
Regarding Candler County Courthouse. Candler County Courthouse ** (added 1980 - Building - #80000984) •
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event •
Architect, builder, or engineer: King Lumber Co., Baldwin,J.J. •
Architectural Style: Classical Revival •
Area of Significance: Communications, Architecture, Economics, Law, Politics/Government •
Period of Significance: 1900-1924 •
Owner: Local Gov't •
Historic Function: Government •
Historic Sub-function: Courthouse •
Current Function: Government •
Current Sub-function: Courthouse •
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 808 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 28, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.