Gallipolis in Gallia County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1790 - Gallipolis - 1940
to commemorate the spirit of
Marquis de Lafayette
and the French people who assisted the
colonists in establishing American
independence and to perpetuate the
memory of the French Five-Hundred
who settled Gallipolis 1790.
Erected 1940 by Ohio Society, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 38° 48.387′ N, 82° 12.319′ W. Marker is in Gallipolis, Ohio, in Gallia County. Marker is on 1st Avenue 0 miles from Court Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in downtown Gallipolis, along the river front, in a community park that is situated along 1st Avenue, between Court streets and State Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Gallipolis OH 45631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Landing of the Welsh in Gallipolis (a few steps from this marker); Yellow Fever Victims (a few steps from this marker); Gallia County, Gallipolis and the Ohio River (within shouting Gallipolis (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Our House (about 700 feet away); The Dunmore War 1774 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles E. Holzer, Sr., M.D. (approx. 0.3 miles away); African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gallipolis.
Also see . . . Gallipolis, Ohio. This link is published and made available by, "Ohio History Central," an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on July 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 775 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.