Stevens Point in Portage County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Public Building
Erected by the Portage County Historical Society. (Marker Number 49.)
Location. 44° 31.353′ N, 89° 35.039′ W. Marker is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, in Portage County. Marker is on Clark Street (State Highway 66) east of Third Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in the 1000 block of Clark Street. Marker is in this post office area: Stevens Point WI 54481, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Public Square (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Airborne Forces Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Portage County Civil War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Stevens Point — Gateway to the Pineries (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Peter Church War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Boy with the Leaking Boot (approx. 0.6 miles away); Buttons from the River (approx. 0.7 miles away); Veterans World War I Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stevens Point.
More about this marker. This is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark – Number 49.
Also see . . . History of the Stevens Point Area. "In the 1830s, John B. DuBay established a trading post twelve miles north of Stevens Point on the Wisconsin River. A permanent white settlement began in 1836, after the signing of the treaty between the United States and the Indians. In 1838, George Stevens made the rugged journey from Fort Winnebago and took his first survey of the area. Stevens and a Native American returned with supplies a year later. The supplies were both hauled up the river to Little Bull Falls (now Mosinee) and the rest were housed in a rough shack, farther downstream. Unknowingly, George Stevens had founded Stevens Point." (Submitted on July 19, 2009.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 818 times since then and 27 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 19, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.