Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Cahaba First State Capital
On December 13, 1819, it was fixed as the Seat of Justice of Dallas County, and so continued until December 14, 1865.
As state capital and as county seat, Cahaba was representative of the best in the life of a Great Commonwealth.
Erected by the Alabama Centennial Commission and by the Citizens of Dallas County, and Dedicated November 11, 1919.
Erected 1919 by Alabama Centennial Commission / Citizens of Dallas County.
Location. 32° 19.041′ N, 87° 5.804′ W. Marker is in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on Capitol Avenue near Vine Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 178 Vine Street, Orrville AL 36767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vine Street (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to Downtown Cahawba (a few steps from this marker); Commissary - R.R. Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Alabama's First Statehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Cahawba - circa 1500 (within shouting distance of this marker); Captive Boys in Blue (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dallas County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Footprint of a Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
Also see . . . Old Cahawba, "Alabama's most famous Ghost Town". (Submitted on September 21, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Cahaba First State Capital.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,157 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 3. submitted on October 12, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.