Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Jewish House of Worship in Alabama - 1846
Shaarai Shomayim, affirmed in Alabama, the American principles of freedom of religion, assembly and the commonality of communities of faith.
Erected 2006 by Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, Historic Mobile Preservation Society.
Location. 30° 41.289′ N, 88° 2.959′ W. Marker is in Mobile, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker is on Government Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on Government Street driving south on the right hand side between St. Michael's and St. Louis Street. Marker is in this post office area: Mobile AL 36602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Dr. H. Roger Williams (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barton Academy (about 600 feet away); Andrew N. Johnson (about 700 feet away); Old Church Street Cemetery - 1819 (about 700 feet away); Creole Firehouse #1 (about 700 feet away); The Quigley House (about 700 feet away); Dr. Thomas N. Harris (about 800 feet away); John L. LeFlore (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobile.
Also see . . .
1. The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation. The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation is a non-profit, volunteer organization. The purpose of the Society is to identify and recognize sites of American Jewish Historical interest. The Society sponsors and promotes programs of local and national historic interest. Cooperating with local Historical Societies, Communities, Churches and Synagogues, the Society encourages dialogue and interactive recognition of the commonality of the American Experience. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.)
2. Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Mobile's Jewish community. (Submitted on January 4, 2013, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Additional keywords. Jewish American, Mobile, Alabama,
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. This page has been viewed 987 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.