Bishopville in Lee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bishopville High School
This high school, built in 1936, is an excellent example of a Colonial Revival school built by the Public Works Administration (PWA), a New Deal program of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration. Designed by architect Henry Dudley Harrall (1878-1959) of Bennettsville, it was built and furnished for $71,000 and was described as “one of the most modern school plants in the state” when it was completed.
The high school featured sixteen large classrooms and a combination gymnasium and auditorium. Its first graduating class was in 1937. The school included grades 8-11 until 1947, when it added grade 12. It was expanded in 1956, 1965, and 1986 before closing in 2000 when a new high school was built south of town. This school was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Erected 2009 by The Alumni, Former Employees, and Friends of Bishopville High School. (Marker Number 31-19.)
Location. 34° 13.435′ N, 80° 14.47′ W. Marker is in Bishopville, South Carolina, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 15) and East College Street, on the left when traveling west on North Main Street. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flag Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Felix Anthony "Doc" Blanchard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dennis High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Apollos James House (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Ratcliff's Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bishopville (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lee County Monument to the Confederate Dead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thomas Gordon McLeod (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishopville.
Regarding Bishopville High School. Bishopville High School, built in 1936, is an excellent example of the type of school architecture that flourished as a direct result of the educational reform campaign in South Carolina in the first quarter of the twentieth century. Additionally, it is a noteworthy example of the work of well-respected Bennettsville, South Carolina architect Henry Dudley Harrall. It is also significant as an excellent example of an educational building in the Colonial Revival style built during a period when emergency funds were made available and many projects of this type were completed. The original L-shaped building is a two-story masonry structure and rests
Also see . . . Natives of Lee County South Carolina. Natives of Lee County South Carolina is the anchor site for the Friends of Bishopville High School which has a separate site for the disbursement of information on the preservation and renovation project for the school facility. (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by John Reames of Bishopville, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,636 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 24, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on December 20, 2011, by Melissa Roberts of Barnwell, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.